Monday, January 21, 2008

Day 20 and 21: Still Going Strong

(Follow my practice for the month of January as I journal what I do for World Yoga Practice Month -- I am YogaLaura if you want to check out my page!)

Yesterday I had a lovely japa and meditation to start my day. My husband got up with the kids (read: he allowed my to sleep in). It was glorious! When I finally woke up, the room was quiet. I just sat up in bed and meditated right then and there.

I then had a long nap in the afternoon instead of my usual asana practice. Might I say, “good choice!” I felt so much better resting. I get so exhausted during my cycle. Wait, scratch that, I want to change my view of my cycle. It is the natural, introspective, quiet time of the month. The fatigue is just my body’s way of telling me I am not yet quiet enough. Apparently I needed some quieting because I had a fabulous nap! I then did some forward folds before bed.

Today I took a class with Matt Sanford, author of Waking. He is an amazing teacher and I very much enjoy taking classes with him. He spoke about nonviolence (seeing how it was MLK Jr. Day) and what was particularly interesting for me, compared nonviolence to surrender. He said if you aren’t surrendering, you are not practicing nonviolence. Very interesting that he brought up both since I am currently studying both in my own life. Surrender is my niyama study for the year and for my program A Year of Living Compassionately, we are studying nonviolence. Matt likes to teach the subtle. Since he is paralyzed from the chest down, that is the level at which he practices yoga and he is powerful. He encouraged us to surrender in Urdhva Prasarita Padasana (Leg Lifts) and encouraged us to view struggle as an act of violence. Very interesting study for me and one I plan to play with in my life off the mat.

Off to my forward folds. Have a lovely night!

1 comment:

Denise said...

Laura, I am enjoying your reflections. I too enjoyed Matt's class around surrender and non violence in poses. it was very enlightening. I felt so open when I left the class! And so light!

Namaste' Denise