Saturday, January 19, 2008

Day 18 – Backbends and Surrender

So, one of my new year’s resolutions is to open my back and psoas to Urdhva Dhanurasana and ultimately Dwi Pada Viparita Dhanurasana. My shoulders are ready and I think my upper back is almost ready. My psoas needs some work. It is where I carry my fear and I need to let myself release a bit more control to fully release this muscle. I am also working on surrender this year so I see many cross-overs in my goals. Today I worked on my psoas both physically and emotionally. I spent some time releasing the muscles in my practice and working in Urdhva Dhanurasana. I also spent the day letting go and flowing with what came up. You know, it is interesting having children. I think it was small children that helped me grasp the concept of the illusion of outer control. I giggle now when I hear a reference to “controlling your children.” There is no control with children. They have their own mind and will and what I hope for is being so in-sinc with them that I can guide them to living from their heart and making beautiful choices. I find I do that best when I can fully let go of my agenda and be present with them completely. Today was one of those days. Although there were things I wanted to do (in the house and on the mat), I didn’t feel tied to anything. I felt like I was on vacation, feeling that light and careless vacation feeling. When a child came to me needing something, I was able to effortless set aside what I was doing and be fully present with the child. When I am fully present, whatever the issue is is always resolved quickly and effortlessly. I am frequently amazed at how much easier a day goes when I am fully present with my little ones. Ironically, I got more done than I had originally hoped to get done!

No comments: